Missionary Member Care
I recently found out about an ebook by Ronald L. Koteskey, Missionary Member Care: An Introduction. Koteskey and his wife, Bonnie, have served in member care for over 16 years and share this and other “resources for missions and mental health” at the website Missionary Care.
There is a wealth of useful information in Missionary Member Care‘s 169 pages, but the parts that interested me the most were
- An overview of the trials faced by the “father of modern missions,” William Carey, and his family. (I’d read about some of what they went through, but hadn’t known the full extent of it.)
- The writings of other early missionaries, revealing their struggles and their need for member care.
- Numerous books and websites dealing with member care.
- Information on a number of member-care organizations.
- A list of conferences for member-care givers.
And the second great resource? That’s where I heard about Missionary Member Care. In case you’ve never seen it, it’s Brigada, a weekly “web journal offering resources, strategy tips, tools and ‘hacks’ to Great Commission Christians.”
There are a couple ways to read Brigada, edited by Doug Lucas, founder and director of Team Expansion. One is to go to the website, where the newest issues are displayed, as well as a link to the archives, with issues dating back to 1994. The other way is to join thousands of other subscribers by signing up for weekly updates.
Brigada‘s information comes from a myriad of sources, and if you’d like to submit your own items for publication, you can do that, as well.