In September of 2015, CNN posted a story with the horrifying headline “Krispy Kreme Krashes”! (exklamation point mine), announcing that KKD stock had dropped 12% following poor sales and earnings reports. The problem? Lackluster profits on their packaged doughnuts sold outside their Krispy Kreme stores. The solution? Opening more Krispy Kreme stores overseas.
Fast forward to today, and the eatery has outlets in over 25 countries. That means fewer people making overseas Krispy Kreme runs and wondering if they can get their purchases through airport security and transport them as carry ons.
It also means plenty of new creations to appeal to global palates. Take, for instance, the new “premium” doughnuts at Krispy Kreme Japan, which, RocketNews24 reports, just became available this month. They include the Premium Matcha Azuki, filled with green-tea flavored whipped cream and red-bean paste and topped with matcha green-tea icing; and also the Premium Sakura, which has a multi-layered filling of cherry paste, strawberry-raspberry-cranberry puree, and whipped cream. (If either of those sound good to you, you’ll need to head over to the Krispy Kreme JR Nagoya Takashimaya store in Aichi Prefecture in the next few weeks—it’s a limited-time offer.)
Seeing that news got me wondering what else one can find at Krispy Kremes far and wide. And so that you don’t have to wonder, too, here’s a list of some of the tasty offerings from Krispy Kremes around the world.
My mouth is watering as I type. . . .
- Australia: Cola Fizz
- Cambodia: Mango
- Canada: Caramel Kreme Crunch
- Colombia: Chocolate Explosion
- Dominican Republic: Nutty Cocoa Ring (topped with Nutella)
- India: Vanilla Bean Latte
- Indonesia: PB & J
- Japan: Cheer Dance Twinkle
- Korea: Strawberry Glutinous Rice
- Malaysia: Kit Kat with White Chocolate
- Mexico: Cookie Pop (with popcorn)
- Middle East (Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and UAE): Hazelnut Dreamcake
- Philippines: Snickerdoodle
- Puerto Rico: Guava Cheese
- Russia: Cranberry with Sugar
- Singapore: Cappuccino Franco
- South Africa: Bar One
- Taiwan: Strawberry Dark Chocolate
- Thailand: Karamel Almond Krunch
- Turkey: Doughnut with Ice Cream
- United Kingdom: Lotus Caramelized Biscoff
(Paul La Monica, “Krispy Kreme Krashes,” CNN Money, September 10, 2015; Oona McGee, “New Krispy Kreme Premium Range Includes Sakura and Matcha Green Tea Doughnut Cakes,” RocketNews24, March 8, 2017)
[photo: “Free for All,” by Bokeh-licious, used under a Creative Commons license]